Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Little (or not so little) Intro

    "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me."

I couldn't have said it better myself. My life has been dotted with so many ups and downs that it draws a map like the Appalachian Mountains. The lowest valley was having an abortion at 18. At first it was a relief, but then the burden of what I'd done overwhelmed me and became an all consuming secret. Who could love me after that? Through years of soul searching  I found God has ALWAYS loved me and proved it through his Son, Jesus. My husband loves me, my friends love me, and God's precious gift of redemption, FOUR precious children, love me.

Those little flawed yet angelic creatures remind me daily of God's love for me. I see His grace when I am tempted to fly off the handle when my kids make a mistake. Yet I make mistakes all the time! God responds with discipline and love and mercy. Aren't I to do the same?

People complain all the time about there not being a parenting manual. Oh, my friends, there is!! It is the Bible. Whether or not you share my faith it is hard not to see the wisdom in the Ten Commandments. If your children live true to those, they are pretty much on the path to a productive adulthood.

The Bible is the most engaging and informative
parenting manual out there!
Last night I went to a revival at a local church. And, honey, did that preacher step on my toes. They are still hurting this morning. He talked about the command (not suggestion, mind you) that Christ gave in Matthew 28. Some know it as the "Great Commission." It implores all believers to go to ALL nations and share the good news of the Gospel. He used the 23 Psalm to illustrate how the church (regardless of denomination) is the flock of the Great Shepherd, but in order for a flock to grow and be productive and grow, baby sheep must be born.

As parents we have the glorious opportunity to be missionaries in our own homes. But I wanted to go a step further. I want to share my love of Christ and what he's done for me and my family with other parents. After all we are sojourners on the same path. Our children are our legacy, and if mine grow up to be decent, hardworking, God fearing, loving, patient individuals then I've done all right. But I can't do it alone. I need my God, my community of other imperfect parents, and Faith.

With the Love of Jesus,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment