Friday, April 26, 2013

Ok, So We Had a Setback...

So my hubs is not completely on board with my new "healthy" lifestyle. He claims that because I lived in San Francisco for so long, it was a just a matter of time before my inner hippie came out.

Last night we went out to eat to celebrate a job well done. My twins were, of all things, GARDEN gnomes in a school play. I had chicken with a side of roasted veggies. I even ate mushrooms (something I normally abhor). The kids ate what I presumed was boxed mac and cheese and Dr. Pepper. And I did nothing to stop them. They all made good choices with their side items. My daughter got broccoli and my sons got orange wedges. Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon.
One ingredient

I'm trying to change a whole lifetime of eating habits in one day. I'm making this decision for myself and it's not too bad, but this isn't something they're choosing. I guess if I train them to recognize what they eat and what they put in their body, that is a huge step in the right direction.

This morning we read the ingredients of the bread we sometimes use for sandwiches (too many to name). Then we read the ingredients from my homemade bread (water, yeast, butter, salt, flour. no butter if it's my French bread)  We read the ingredients of soda, raisins, organic maple syrup, and pancake syrup (which the hubs has instructed me to replenish today).

Can I? Can I in good conscience buy him something that is so full of artificial ingredients it's alarming? It's a dilemma. He's a grown man and has to make this choice for himself. But we also need to be good examples for our kids. I honestly don't know what to do.

So many ingredients. But as stone ground whole wheat is
the first ingredient, it's a better choice than
 some other breads
(But it doesn't compare to my homemade bread, hee hee)
Ahhh, the internet to the rescue. Who knew there were so many homemade pancake syrups out there? I'm going to try one and see what happens!! The hubs may not know what hit him. He may love it!! Then again, he may banish me from the kitchen then run to Target for nearest bottle of sticky fakeness. Note: I get my organic pure maple syrup from Target so it is our go to store for EVERYTHING.

Setbacks are going to happen on our journey to wellness. Acceptance is the key. I'm not going to beat myself over the little things (or little cups of soda) but I'm going to praise my family for the good choices they ARE making.

I am so new to this concept of food. What do you feed your kids to keep them whole and healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment