Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dear Candidate, Here's Why I didn't Vote for You

Dear Candidate,
   Thank you for your interest in politics. Here are a number of reasons I did not vote for you today.
   If you do not have a website, I did not vote for you today. Since I don't have television, your website is the only way for me to understand your views. This is the 21st century. If you don't have a website, you don't need to be running.
I voted. Just not for you...
  You are up for re-election, but so confident in yourself that your website only had information about contributing to your campaign, but not what you stand for. I'm not really sure how you want to serve. Therefore, I did not vote for you. You are technically asking us to hire you to serve us in while in office. Tell me what you're going to do for me and my state.
   If your website did have your position easily accessible for me, but your strategy was to mud sling your opponent, I did not vote for you. If your platform was strong and true to begin with, there is no need to put other people down. Let's not bully. You are much, much too old for that.
   I'm interested in your stance on hot button issues. I am not interested in a vague response such as, "I believe abortion is a politically intractable issue because we are divided not just on the political issue but on the metaphysical issue. Given that, I find it counterproductive to try to settle the matter through the coercive power of the state. Trying to do so has ruined our political discourse and radicalized our political parties." (taken from an actual candidate's website). Plus, you are using words that common people, including college educated little me, find ostracizing.
   Again, thank you for your time and effort in this year's political race. If you find yourself running again in the future, please take consider what I've shared with you. You might just win a couple more votes.


   

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! Good for you for doing your best to understand the issues and the politicians, too. I wish more people took the time.

    ReplyDelete