Friday, November 1, 2013

"I wish I had a million dollars...Hot Dog!!"

Call me crazy, but I've done it again. I've signed up for NOVEMBER'S NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) through BlogHer. Yes, I know I just finished writing everyday in October, but I thought, "What the heck? Let's do it again."


Like George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life, I can see myself flicking that cigar lighter everyday and wishing for a million dollars. In my reality, money is tight. Very tight. If I found one million dollars and it was mine to keep, the only stipulation being I had to spend it by nightfall, I'm afraid to say my plan would be very boring.

God's word instructs us to be wise with what He's given us. And if He was gracious enough to bestow $1,000,000 upon me, I'd be SUPER tempted not to be wise. But I'm a grown-up now (sort of) and there are grown-up things I need to take care of.

As much as I would LOOOOVE to take my kids on a wild vacation or buy a fancy minivan, my first order of business would be to pay off our medical bills and student loans. Those are the extent of our debt, but it accounts for a huge chunk of hubby's check every month.
If you found $1 million,
what would you do?
Next, I would give some to our church. While I was pregnant with our fourth child, they took a special offering for us, this helped tremendously with some of our bills. This church is like family, and money is tight there too. Maybe I'd fund a salary for the youth pastor we sorely need. Oh! And I'd keep the Keurig well stocked.

Ok, so between our bills and church, I'm probably at $60,000.

With the leftover, I would pad my babies college fund. I know the burden of student loans and I don't want them to carry that load. I want them to not settle for their education because they can't afford their first choice school. My hubs and I expect our children to try their best, do well and ask for help when needed. Between scholarships and what I could provide, they should be golden.

I wish I could say that I would fund a family trip to the Bahamas. I wish I could say I would buy a fancy house and a fast car, but the reality is that I need to make my reality better. I'm tired of not having enough every month because the hospital and the loans take so much of our income. I'm tired of not having fun because we don't have money, but if I could use the $1 million to make my everyday a little easier, then perhaps a dream vacation may not be such a far fetched dream after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment