Sunday, November 10, 2013

Mini-me's

There really is something to "nature vs. nurture." It's so interesting to see how my children are "mini-me's." I'm not talking habits and mannerisms that they've picked up from me, but traits they've inherited.

My sweet Davis is so loving and kind, but has a short fuse. His propensity for distraction is like looking in a mirror. He loves art and would rather be creating than doing anything else. He's becoming at home in the kitchen and loves to bake. He, like me, is such a ham.

 
Lincoln, is a book worm. We both devour words like they're going out of style. We also share a curiosity about the origin of words that is rather uncanny. He has an insatiable desire for attention, something I really wish I hadn't passed on. He loves history and finds ancient Egypt as fascinating as I did at his age.


Eva is my diva. She has inherited my love of drama and musical theater. She's happiest on stage and or at least pretending she's on stage. Unlike me, she's usually on key.



CJ is a water baby. (I learned to swim at 18 months) If there's water, he's in it: the toilet, puddles, the dog water, the bathtub... wherever. He too loves music. He loves to dance and be-bop around and is also very happy with a microphone in his hand. I have a feeling we'll have trouble keeping him off the stage, after all his first starring role was when he was 6 months old.
 
 
 
You know when you're parents threaten you with, "I hope you get one just like you!!"? Well, I got four just like me. I guess the advantage to this is that they will pull nothing on me when they're teens. I love watching them grow and I hope to be able to harness their individual talents and desires.
 
As much as they ARE like me, I have to remember that they AREN'T me. They won't necessarily make the same awful choices I did, they won't necessarily make their lives harder by screwing up royally like I did. They are four unique, beautiful people, with four unique God-given paths and it's going to be a joy to see where life takes them.


2 comments:

  1. Great tribute and preservation of the sweet descriptions you gave about your four beautiful children. Don't be so hard on yourself in the last paragraph. Awful choices? Screwing up? I'd say you've done/are doing great for yourself!! Keep on keepin' on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me to tell you about the awful choices and how I've screwed up :) God has definitely redeemed me, but it would have been easier if I hadn't taken a bumpy road to begin with.

      Delete