Wednesday, November 27, 2013

So Blessed

As I sit here in my warm house, I am reminded of my many, many blessings.

It's easy to get caught up in circumstances. Bad circumstances. But there is always, ALWAYS something to be thankful for.

Take last night for example. On our way to the Thanksgiving Service at church, (in the icy rain) our van started acting funny. The lights and other electrical gizmos weren't working quite right. We managed to pull over and call my out-laws (not family of origin, or through marriage, but family nonetheless) who came to our rescue. We left the van, and managed to make it to church.

Yes, it stinks my van broke down, at night, in the rain, with four hungry kids, and one crying baby.

Yes, it stinks that it's going to cost $300 (that we don't have) to fix it.

Yes, it stinks that we are down to one car that only fits two children, not four.

I can choose to look at the growing pile of negatives and jump right in to a pity pit.

Or I can choose to look at the growing list of blessing that have surrounded this situation.
  1. My husband was with us when the van broke down and no one got hurt
  2. We had folks close by who could come rescue us
  3. Church was that much sweeter because we almost didn't make it
  4. My out-laws completely rearranged their vehicles so that we could borrow one
  5. A sweet, sweet friend slipped us money to help with repairs
  6. The van did not need towed to the shop
  7. It "should" be fixed by closing today thus avoiding keeping it until Monday
  8. I am forced to slooooow dooooown
So my kids and I are safe and warm while the snow pours outside (hearth and home = major blessing). I'm catching up on laundry while having a Star Wars marathon (only the original three, since those are the only ones that matter), and waiting for the hubs to get home.

I will count my blessings not my burdens and be overly grateful this Thanksgiving because I have a whole lot to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment