Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Great Equalizer

While at the doctor's office and anticipating another round of yearly unpleasantness, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror...I looked awful.

It's not that I don't like myself or often think I look bad. It was the gown. That blue paper gown that opens in the front. (It comes with a "belt," but why?)
Photo courtesy of heliomed.com

The ugly gown, with its rigid shoulders caused by fold creases and stiff paper, puts everyone on the same level. I came to realize that it's impossible to look good while wearing it. It is the great equalizer. Every woman, whether she be rich or poor, young or old, pretty or frumpy, educated or dumb as a brick, looks awful wearing it.

Think too highly of yourself? Put on the gown; it'll knock 'ya down a few pegs. Feel badly about yourself? Imagine everyone else in the gown and you'll realize we're all the same.

So thank you, blue paper gown. Not only for providing easy access to my doctor, but for teaching me a lesson. Thank you for reminding me that no matter who we are or where we come from, no one is immune to your uncomfortable scratchiness and unavoidable drafts. And that no one, I mean NO ONE looks good while you're draped around their shoulders.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right… and always insightful :)

    ReplyDelete