Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave

I've got to be honest; since the election results Tuesday night, I've been a little discouraged. America seems to be going to hell in a hand basket and no one seems to care. I'm equally as guilty. Have I ever written to my senators, congressmen or ANY elected official? No. I sit idly by while crooks run the country. It seems so hopeless, and I just didn't care. What difference can I make? After all I'm one person.
Rep. Robert Hurt


But today, I was able to attend the Patriotic Presentation put on by the fourth graders at my kids' elementary school. They wore American flags, and sang the National Anthem, "My Country "Tis of Thee" and several other patriotic songs. They gave tribute to service men and women. And to top it off, Congressman Robert Hurt stopped by to present a flag to our school for earning a National Blue Ribbon Award.

I was reminded of what is good about America. I was reminded we have freedoms and rights that other countries only dream about. This country is far from perfect and seems more broken than bent. But despite its problems, the USA's a pretty cool place to live.

GOD Bless America!!!

2 comments:

  1. I need to be better about writing my political leaders, as well. Elections lately are terribly disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's like picking the lesser of two evils. But like the wise Lorax said, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." I guess if I want it to start getting better, I better start caring more.

      Delete